I started work on the novel back in 2002, tucking it into the proverbial drawer shortly after finishing it in 2003. Just as I was putting the finishing touches on the story, I came up with a new idea for the beginning that had a substantial ripple effect throughout the rest of the entire plot. Reworking the manuscript was too daunting of a prospect to take on, so I let the novel sit until two years ago, when I rediscovered the inspiration to go back to the drawing board--rewriting a significant portion of the story from scratch.
I've made several editorial passes through the updated material--the most recent of which was a massive edit designed to bring the manuscript up to publication quality. Here's the final tally from my most recent round of edits:
Original Word Count 134,145
Final Word Count 112.176
Reduced Word count 21969
Original Page Count 523
Final Page Count 451
Reduction in Pages 72
Next step--time to find an agent to help bring Inner Demons to publication!